XXXVIIth RENCONTRES DE MORIOND
"The Cosmological Model"
Les Arcs, Savoie, France
March 16-23, 2002
1- From Paris to Bourg St Maurice by train.
Please note that reservations are compulsory for TGV trains. Be especially careful not to reserve too late as the TGV trains to Bourg St Maurice are often full at this time of the year, and particularly on Saturdays.
SATURDAY, MARCH 16, 2002
Paris Gare de Lyon
Bourg St Maurice
|11h04 Change in Chambéry||16h58|
SATURDAY, MARCH 23, 2002
from Bourg St Maurice
Paris Gare de Lyon
|15h59 Change in Chambéry||21h35|
2 - From Bourg St Maurice to Les Arcs 1800.
Regular buses are available from Bourg St Maurice train station to Les Arcs 1800 (45 mn drive) at most train arrivals from Paris. Cost: 8 Euros one way (luggage included). Please ask for a ticket "Les Arcs-Villards". The last bus leaves at 19 h 30 on Saturday 16th.
Taxis: approximate cost: 39/49 Euros , depending on the number of persons and pieces of luggage.
3 - From Geneva Airport to Les Arcs 1800.
If you arrive in Geneva International Airport, do not forget that you may need a transit visa coming through Switzerland to France.
It is highly recommended to take the first conference bus, or if you go by car, to leave Geneva before 12h on Saturday: experience has shown that traffic jams can be "terrible" if one leaves Geneva after 14h.
With the conference buses:
Departure from Geneva International Airport on Saturday, March 16th. At the arrival level, ground floor, take the exit "gate number 3" just in front of the customs, cross a car-park and you will be just in front of the bus "ALPBUS FOURNIER". It will be waiting in the bus park, with RENCONTRES DE MORIOND posters on the windows.
* On Saturday, March 16th:
. the first bus leaves at 11 h 30,
. the second bus leaves at 12 h
. the third bus leaves at 12 h 30
. the last one at 13 h 30 sharp.
With regular buses:
There are also regular buses from the airport. Departure time are 10 h, 11 h, 12 h, 13 h 30, 14 h 30, 15 h 30, 17 h, 19 h from the international sector of Geneva Airport. Change in Bourg St Maurice.
Duration of the drive: about 3 hours.
Price : 60 Euros one way. Information can be found on the web www.gva.ch/en, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return Conference buses are scheduled to leave Les Arcs on Saturday, March 16th, at 12 h 00 sharp (after lunch) and will reach Geneva airport and then CERN around 16 h 30, depending on the traffic.
Les Arcs 1800 can be reached by car, by the A43 highway to Albertville, then by the N90 to Bourg St Maurice (via Moutiers) and then to Les Arcs 1800 (16 km). If chains are necessary, the sooner you mount them, the better (in Bourg St Maurice). In Les Arcs, the temperature can easily go down to -20C: make sure you have sufficient antifreeze. There are indoor parking spaces (60FF per day).
There are 2 "Hotel Latitudes" in Les Arcs. Be sure that you go to Latitudes-Charmettoger, at the end of the resort Charmettoger.
1. The temperature in Les Arcs 1800 varies between -20C and +15C. The ground is often icy and it is important to bring suitable walking shoes and warm clothes.
2. There is no travel agency in Les Arcs 1800. You are kindly requested to make your hotel, plane or train reservations or confirmations by yourself on your arrival. The Conference Secretariat will be unable to do this for you.
3. There are 2 banks located in Les Arcs 1800. Both of them are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
4. Ski and boot rental is available in Les Arcs 1800. There will be a special discount for Moriond participants at the ski shop within the hotel.
5. A 6 day ski-pass can be obtained at the hotel desk. Do not forget to bring a recent photograph for passes longer than 3 days. Ski passes are free of charge for children under 7 years old. Some chair-lifts are free for beginners, therefore do not buy a 6 day pass if you are an early beginner!
6. There is a swimming-pool in Bourg St Maurice but none in Les Arcs 1800.
7. Lost luggage : If you fly to Geneva airport and if your luggage is missing on your arrival, when making your claim, ask for your luggage to be forwarded to you to the Hotel Latitudes Charmettoger in Les Arcs 1800 by taxi; a few Moriond participants have had their suitcases "stuck" in Bourg St Maurice or elsewhere, by bus companies.